Program Main Stage
Find out here about the guidelines regarding spectators’ attendance at the performances of the 27th International Dance Festival of Kalamata, in the context of the protection measures against Covid-19.
About the performance
Anchored in the fertile territory of acrobatics, Compagnie XY presents Möbius, a collaboration with Rachid Ouramdane. Möbius was born from a desire to escape gravity, a longing to take flight and soar upwards, out of the individual and into the bigger picture, the larger whole. It questions the relationship to oneself, to others, to the group, and the ability to live together in an extremely poetic vision. Nineteen acrobats, each of them unique, form human columns that constantly rise, become distorted, or overturn each other, coming together and breaking up in fractions of a second. As the protagonists seek solutions to ‘extreme’ situations, a collective intelligence emerges. Yet, in this highly charged microcosm of humanity the relationship between the individual and the group is continuously renegotiated, reminding us how we must all negotiate our place amongst others on a daily basis.
Compagnie XY describe their acrobatics as a space of transformations activated by swells, conflict, and temporal loops. Their characters appear as a suspension in a time continuum that stretches and contracts in tune with the rhythm of the bodies changing shape right before the spectator’s eyes. Rachid Ouramdane’s skill with large ensembles pushes Compagnie XY’s dancers to combine their acrobatic performance with unexpected and emotional choreographic motifs.
The performance Möbius is presented at 27th Kalamata International Dance Festival with the support of the French Institute.
- Acrobats: Abdeliazide Senhadji, Airelle Caen, Alejo Bianchi, Arnau Povedano, Andres Somoza, Antoine Thirion, Belar San Vincente, Florian Sontowski, Gwendal Beylier, Wilmer Marquez, Löric Fouchereau, Mathilde Jimenez, Mikis Matsakis, Oded Avinathan, Paula Wittib, Peter Freeman, Seppe Van Looveren, Tuk Frederiksen, Yamil Falvella
- Artistic collaboration: Rachid Ouramdane, Jonathan Fitoussi, Clemens Hourrière
- Lighting design: Vincent Millet
- Costume design: Nadia Léon
- Collaborator in acrobatics: Nordine Allal
- Production and administration: Peggy Donck & Antoine Billaud
- Production: Cie XY
- Co-production: Plateforme 2 Pôles Cirque en Normandie – La Brèche à Cherbourg et le Cirque-Théâtre d’Elbeuf / Le Phénix, Pôle Européen de création, Valenciennes / Maison de la Danse, Lyon / MC2, Grenoble / EPPGHV, Parc de La Villette, Paris / Maison de la Culture de Bourges / TEAT Champ Fleuri, La Réunion / Agora, PNAC Boulazac Aquitaine / Les Gémeaux, Scène nationale de Sceaux / Bonlieu, Scène nationale d’Annecy / Le Carré Magique, PNAC en Bretagne / Espace des arts, Scène nationale de Chalon-sur-Saône / Le Bateau Feu, Scène nationale de Dunkerque / Festival PERSPECTIVES, festival franco-allemand des arts de la scène, Saarbrücken, Allemagne
- Residencies: Le Sirque, PNAC Nexon Limousin / Furies, PNAC en préfiguration, Châlons-en-Champagne / Cirque Jules Verne, Pôle national cirque et arts de la rue, Amiens / CCN, Grenoble / MC2, Grenoble / Maison de la danse, Lyon / Plateforme 2 Pôles Cirque en Normandie – La Brèche à Cherbourg et le Cirque-Théâtre d’Elbeuf / CIRCa, PNAC Auch / Tandem, Scène nationale, Douai / Le Phénix, Pôle Européen de création,Valenciennes
- With the support of the Minister of Culture and Communication and the Direction Régionale des Affaires Culturelles Hauts-de-France through help to government-regulated companies with national and international standing, the Région Grand Est, the Centre National des Arts du Cirque, and the Fondation BNP-Paribas. Cie XY is associated with the Phénix de Valenciennes as part of an European Pole of Creation, with the Cirque-Théâtre d’Elbeuf – Pôle National Cirque de Normandie, and with the Cirque Jules Verne – Pôle national cirque et arts de la rue (Amiens).
Compagnie XY is a group of acrobats who use acrobatic lifts to forge links that allow them to travel further, constantly looking for what makes a community. Their creative process is based on collective intelligence and teamwork. Requiring interdependence, balance, and complementary forces, their discipline, acrobatics, is conducive to their explorations. Their previous creations include Laissez-Porter (2005), Le grand C (2009), and Il n’est pas encore minuit (2014).